Now I never really completely fall off the wagon. I try and be super good with my diet 90% of the time so the 10% that calls for a splurge is totally justifiable.
What cookies am I going to make this Christmas? I have chosen two. One a classic, chewy, chocolate-chip laden number, the other a somewhat healthy (if you don’t count the CUP of sugar) one because it is fat & gluten free.
Almond Cloud Cookies
adapted from King Aurthur Flour. Makes 20
- 10 oz Almond Paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract (or substitute lemon)
- Confectioners’ sugar or glazing sugar, for topping
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
2) Blend the almond paste, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes uniformly crumbly; this is best done in a stand mixer.
3) Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.
4) Stir in the flavoring
5) Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.
6) Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners’ sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
7) Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they’re brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.